Bitcoin Technical Info
Always make sure you know how to backup your wallet and access your private key to prevent calamity in the event of a hardware failure.
Bitcoin Online Wallets
Bitcoin Desktop Wallets
1. Exodus: https://www.exodus.io/ (works for a variety of different cryptocurrencies, strong privacy features, & comes with ShapeShift exchange built in for easy conversion to other types of cryptocurrencies)
2(a). Bitcoin Core [INSTALLATION GUIDE]: https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node (allows your computer to be used as a full node) (last accessed Jan. 14, 2018)
2(b). Setting up a Lightning Network Node (can only be used with Bitcoin Core Wallet): https://explorer.acinq.co/#/faq (last accessed Jan. 14, 2018)
- Bitcoin Price Analysis News Source (Coin Telegraph): https://cointelegraph.com/category/analysis
- The Bitcoin Scaling Debate: Context, Proposed Solutions, and the Future (Mar. 9, 2018): https://hackernoon.com/the-bitcoin-scaling-debate-context-proposed-solutions-and-the-future-579f9373e24b
- Blockchain-Friendly Arizona Moves to Allow Bitcoin Tax Payments (Feb. 9, 2018): https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-friendly-arizona-moves-to-allow-bitcoin-tax-payments/
- Billionaire Mark Cuban Says the Dallas Mavericks Will Accept Bitcoin Next Season (Jan. 17, 2018): https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/mark-cuban-nbas-dallas-mavericks-will-accept-bitcoin-next-season.html?__source=twitter%7Cmain
- China wants an “orderly exit” from bitcoin mining (Jan. 8, 2018): https://qz.com/1174091/china-wants-an-orderly-exit-from-bitcoin-mining/ (last accessed Jan. 9, 2018)
- Will Bitcoin's Lightning Network Kill Off Altcoins Focused on Cheap Transactions? (by Kyle Torpey) (Dec. 28, 2017): https://www.forbes.com/sites/ktorpey/2017/12/28/will-bitcoins-lightning-network-kill-off-altcoins-focused-on-cheap-transactions/#3528034d7dab (last accessed Jan. 9, 2018)
- The Barely Discussed, Incredible Benefit of the Lightning Network (Feb. 23, 2017): https://medium.com/@thecryptoconomy/the-barely-discussed-incredible-benefit-of-the-lightning-network-4ce82c75eb58 (last accessed Jan. 14, 2018)
- Bitcoin $1 million! Cybersecurity Legend John McAfee Ramps up NSFW Wager (Nov. 29, 2017): https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-1-million-cybersecurity-legend-jon-mcafee-ramps-up-his-nsfw-wager-2017-11-29 (McAfee BETS HIS DICK that Bitcoin will be worth $1 million (per Bitcoin) by 2020).
Bitcoin Community Forums
Our Opinion on Bitcoin's Longevity
Jan. 24, 2018
Just a couple months ago, I was thinking about how I wouldn't be surprised if Bitcoin eventually hit over $300k (to reach this figure, I divided $7 trillion, the approximate market cap of gold, among the 21 million coins Bitcoin will eventually have and reached a figure of about $335k per Bitcoin at that market cap).
The more and more research I do about different blockchain techs and the more I think about how quickly technology evolves, however, the more it seems to me that Bitcoin is doomed. I don't think this is necessarily true in the next three years, but after that? We'll be on the third or fourth iteration of blockchain and its going to be sooooooo much better and easier to scale / adapt. On top of all of this, the power output required for Bitcoin mining is astronomical and will eventually be largely unnecessary if PoS transaction verification systems make the leaps I believe they will. I also think the more expensive Bitcoin gets, the clunkier it's going to feel in terms of transaction times.
The thing that is gonna keep Bitcoin around for three years, I think, is two fold--(1) they win the popularity contest and are a household name; and (2) they are a major trading pair on nearly every crypto exchange in the world.
I'm still holding my BTC for ALL of 2018, but I'll be looking to get out shortly thereafter.
THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO CONSTITUTE INVESTMENT ADVICE. AS ALWAYS, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE INFORMATION.