Legal and Regulatory News
3. SEC Issues Investigative Report Concluding DAO Tokens, a Digital Asset, Were Securities (July 25, 2017): https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2017-131 (U.S. Securities Laws May Apply to Offers, Sales, and Trading of Interests in Virtual Organizations) ("The DAO has been described as a 'crowdfunding contract' but it would not have met the requirements of the Regulation Crowdfunding exemption because, among other things, it was not a broker-dealer or a funding portal registered with the SEC and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.")
2. Starbucks Chairman Is Hot on Blockchain, Cold on Bitcoin (Jan. 26, 2018): https://www.coindesk.com/starbucks-chairman-hot-blockchain-cold-bitcoin/ (Starbucks plans to implement blockchain into their business, but does not plan to implement BTC because they question the longevity of BTC).
3. Russia’s Ministry of Finance Legalizes Cryptocurrency Trading, Central Bank Disagrees (Jan. 26, 2018): https://cointelegraph.com/news/russias-ministry-of-finance-legalizes-cryptocurrency-trading-central-bank-disagrees
6. South Korean Petition Against Crypto Regulation Gets 200K Signatures, Government Must Respond (Jan. 17, 2018): https://cointelegraph.com/news/south-korean-petition-against-crypto-regulation-gets-200k-signatures-government-must-respond
9. South Korea Says Planned Ban on Cryptocurrency Market Not Yet Finalized (Jan. 14, 2018): https://www.reuters.com/article/us-markets-bitcoin-southkorea/south-korea-says-planned-ban-on-cryptocurrency-market-not-yet-finalized-idUSKBN1F4049
1. Statement on Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings by SEC Chairman Jay Clayton (Dec. 11, 2017): https://www.sec.gov/news/public-statement/statement-clayton-2017-12-11